Your roof is an important investment, so selecting the right roofing contractor is like choosing a specialist for your own health or mechanic for your car--of course you want to make the best possible decision! Here are some tips that will help you determine the credibility of any roofing company:
- Receive a written quotation - understand the document, the installation details, the product, warranty and payment requirements, and ask for clarification about anything you are uncertain of. Be clear about any binding agreements and both your obligations under the terms of the contract.
- Ask for references and don't rely on internet testimonials. Contact customers of the company and speak to them directly.
- Check business history to determine when the roofing company was established. Be wary of businesses that cannot back up a length of experience or service claim.
- Find out if WSIB Clearance Certificates and HST numbers are available and shown to be in good standing. (These indicate legal compliances.)
- Determine where the business is headquartered. A visual business presence shows stability of operations. Other professional indicators include visuals such as branding, logos, condition of vehicles and presentation of information.
- Ask about the contractor commercial insurance and what liabilities are covered.
- Research the type of product recommended for your roof. How does the manufacturer back its product-line and what is the relationship between them and the installer.
- Find out if the roofing business, it's owners or staff are good corporate citizens and contributors. What causes or charities do they support? Companies with a track record of community caring and giving back have a reputation to rely on.